The Code of Virginia allows any public body to withhold certain records from public disclosure. The University of Virginia commonly withholds records subject to the following exemptions:
- Scholastic records. Va. Code §2.2-3705.4.
- Letters of recommendation. Va. Code §2.2-3705.4(2).
- Faculty proprietary information. Va. Code §2.2-3705.4(4).
- Personnel records. Va. Code § 2.2-3705.1(1).
- Records subject to attorney-client privilege or attorney work product. Va. Code §§ 2.2-3705.1(2) and 2.2-3705.1(3).
- Vendor proprietary information. Va. Code § 2.2-3705.1(6).
- Records relating to the negotiation and award of a contract, prior to a contract being awarded. Va. Code § 2.2-3705.1(12).
- Public safety, health and social services. Va. Code §§ 2.2-3705.2 and 2.2-3705.5.