When Thomas Jefferson founded the University of Virginia, he set out to radically re-conceive what a university could be. His goal was to instill in the new nation the tools of self-governance and to foster the “illimitable freedom of the human mind.”
For 200 years, the University has remained true to this calling: to advance knowledge, educate leaders and cultivate an informed citizenry. Today, UVA ignites a passion for ingenuity in its students and faculty. It shatters boundaries and conventions that limit the freedom of the mind and prepares its graduates to lead and serve the common good.
The University’s founding ethos has never been more relevant than it is today. Across a range of media and audiences, we tell UVA’s story in ways that are true to our past and aligned with our future.
- Highlights the University’s academic caliber, student experience, thought leadership and community.
- Collaborates with communicators across the University to build and strengthen the UVA brand.
- Develops guidelines for language, photography, graphic elements, and other marketing assets used by members of UVA’s brand community (visit our brand site).
- Manages the University’s digital platforms, including the Virginia.edu website and UVA Today.
- Creates marketing programs to educate key audiences and increase awareness and positive perception of the University’s offerings and enduring value.